Google

Monday, May 26, 2008

Random bites

Over the weekend, a few things have caught my eye and I wonder what they mean:

At HeraldWatch, there's a rumor that the Miami Herald may be getting ready to lay off 230 people. Not surprising, but sad anyway. Things aren't good at newspapers these days. The Herald recently had some buyouts and lost long time senior reporter Martin Merzer, photographer Nuri Vallbona, and business writer Susana Barciela, among others. I guess it wasn't enough. Even more disturbing to a former Herald library employee, there was an earlier posting reporting on a memo from editor Anders Gyllenhaal suggesting the library functions may be outsourced.

(Update:) a new blog, Papercuts, is tracking newspaper layoffs. There was such a thing several months back is this the same one? (Via Buzzmachine.)

(Update:) More on the Miami Herald from Random Pixels, who has been keeping an eye on editing on the Web site, and other Herald matters.


Lots of interesting discussion going on about the future of journalism. I've not been linking to much of it since there's plenty of places out there to find it all. I like Alltop: Journalism for a quick overview of what's there. But a couple things this weekend seem worth pointing to:

I'm intrigued by this Carnival of Journalism question (via Ryan Sholin), What should journalism organizations stop doing to make room for innovation? I've been seeing answers to it on several blogs, like Jack Lail's, but the original posting links to all of them. Some of the ideas seem good to me, like dropping (locally produced) features stories for more local news.

One of the pioneers in journalism innovation, Rob Curley, has announced he is leaving the Washington Post online operation with several of his staff to join the Las Vegas Sun. This is big news and another example of how hard it is for real innovation to work at a major media operation. Derek Willis, who worked with Curley and his staff while at the Post, and who is an innovator in newsrooms, discusses.

In the wake of HBO's 'Recount' broadcast last night, Eye on Miami shines a spotlight on the 'Miami riot' that ended the recount in Miami-Dade County and which was orchestrated by the Republicans with congressional staffers playing the part of outraged residents. Wow, what a blast from the past it was watching that movie, hard to relive that terrible month that I spent looking up laws, tracking lawsuits, chronologizing, linking and linking and linking and wondering who really won that election. (Note so far 81% of respondents on the HBO website say they believe the election was stolen.) I loved Laura Dern as Katherine Harris (but I hope she wasn't really that ditsy -- was she?) The casting and makeup was brilliant.
It was this election that started my blogging. I had so many links that so many people were asking me for, so I created a website and put them online. Updating weekly led to blogging. I wish I still had the 2000 election links online now, I was asked for them just last week. But I'm afraid they're long gone.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home