Google

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Tropical Dreams.....










Alesh at Critical Miami has posted some photos of the Fruit and Spice Park in the Redland, one of my favorite haunts in my time in Miami.

(Memo to Alesh: the grapy fruit is Jaboticaba (top photo). It's Brazilian (blogger friend Sonia, at Leaves of Grass, has them too). I had one in my South Miami yard, and they were sweet and delicious. I do miss my tropical fruit trees: the jaboticaba, the surinam cherry, the key limes, the mangos, avocado, oranges.....even the macadamias, which I never managed to eat...)

Interesting thing about Alesh's pictures: one of the photos contains 'Miracle Fruit', which I never heard of before, but which has suddenly hit the blogosphere with postings on Metafilter and elsewhere. Apparently eating it changes the taste of anything you eat afterwards, making limes sweet, for example. Most links don't even say what the real name of the fruit is, but this article, from 1992, says it's a sapodilla.

I had a better photo of the jaboticabas, but couldn't find it right away. Check Sonia's site for better images.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Hi Liz, very interesting this post!
    And thank you so much for your citation! I am very proud and happy with it! Many hugs, Sonia.

    By Blogger sonia a. mascaro, at 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home