Google

Friday, August 08, 2008

Research links of the week, and ex-journalists

After a long respite, some new research links, and a couple more references to what's going on in the world of laid-off journalists:

  • We Were Print a blog from several "Former and Soon-to-Be Former Print Journalists". Includes a body count, and links to job listings.
  • 42 Things I know from William Lobdell, recently bought out at LA Times, about the current state of newspapers (and the Times).

    The research links:
    News:
  • The Newsfilm Online Digitisation Project offers selected newsfilm from ITN/Reuters archives, by subscription or free browsing.
  • PopURLs, shows the most popular links on the Web today.
  • Beijing Olympics News from NewsNow.

    Reference:
  • A Chronology of Data Breaches, from Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. I've used this in the past but don't think I linked it. Very helpful when searching for past hacking or theft incidents.
  • A Big List of Sites That Teach You How To Do Stuff from ReadWriteWeb.

    Public Records:
  • Criminalsearches.com: this beta from PeopleFinders offers free national criminal records searches, with the usual caveats.
  • Safe Road Maps, a database of fatal traffic accidents overlaid on Google Maps.

    Business:
  • BizToolKit, from James J. Hill Reference Library in Minneapolis, organizes the business web, featuring the Web's best business information sources. Free but has a pro subscription version.

    Labels: ,

  • 2 Comments:

    • An amazing resource for business information is the Warm Call Center at www.takethecold.com

      It has amazing resources for finding information on people, companies, and industries and comes with search tips AND its free! The author of the Take the Cold Out of Cold Calling book, Sam Richter, is an amazing presenter as I also signed up for his Webinar on being an online spy. Incredible stuff that would have saved me hundreds of hours if I had known years ago.

      I bought the book and by far it is the best book I've ever read on finding information online and then using it to win business. I've downloaded free sales leads, lists of information, company data, and I find out a ton about people before I meet with them. An incredible resource for writers and reporters too (I use it every day to help me with my blog)

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:26 PM  

    • I share the same views. Liked your blog very much.

      By Blogger RNB Research, at 12:31 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home