Google

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Writers, bloggers and newspapers

The Post Pub, a new blog for 'authors, readers and bloggers', links to a feature in The Guardian, Writers Rooms. Lovely to see the places where writers work and the surroundings that inspire them. Some of these rooms look pretty uncomfortable to me, though, and can't imagine writing by hand or on an old typewriter, which several of these do.

Speaking of writers' work spaces, Ronni Bennett has been encouraging her readers to send in photos of their desks, at her Time Goes By blog. I haven't sent a photo of mine to Where Elders Blog yet, but several have contributed photos. It really adds to the reading experience when you can see where the work happened. (For a lark, check out the similarities between Ronni's desk and the one Margaret Drabble writes on.)

I posted a photo of my work spaces (in the Herald newsroom, and my desk in the -- now demolished -- South Miami house) once to my blog, but the photo links are gone now. I've tried several times to get a good photo of my current work space here in the NC mountains. This one shows a bit of the fall color outside my window...

It's a while now since I blogged at the newspaper site. Lots has changed since I started doing it 4 or so years ago. Mine was the lone blog at MiamiHerald.com, now there are dozens, it seems. Newspapers are into blogging in a big way now, according to Marc Glaser at Mediashift, reporting on a Los Angeles Times story: Should bloggers and newspapers make peace?
On this note, Mindy McAdams did a session on blogging at a recent online journalism seminar and found so many were interested the room was packed. Far cry from some of the early sessions on blogging I did a few years back. News librarians showed up when I talked to them, but journalists rarely.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hi Liz...

    I tweaked your desk photo a bit so it shows more detail. Send me your email address and I send it to you.

    My email address is: ronniATronnibennettDOTcom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 AM  

  • I love seeing writers' work spaces. Eventually I'll take a picture of my own. (I'm compulsive; I want to clean it up first.) Thanks for sharing yours, and thanks for the link.

    Kristen from The Post Pub

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home