Google

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

In the minds of conservatives

Johann Hari writes in The Independent about joining a cruise hosted by the National Review: Neocons on a Cruise: What Conservatives Say When They Think We Aren't Listening (posted on Alternet):
The Iraq war has been an amazing success, global warming is just a myth and Guantanamo Bay is practically a holiday camp. The annual cruise organized by the 'National Review,' mouthpiece of right-wing America, is a parallel universe populated by straight-talking, gun-toting, God-fearing Republicans.

He finds, most of all, that everyone one the cruise wants to remind him that 'Muslims are taking over Europe':
A sweet elderly lady from Los Angeles is sitting on the rocks nearby, telling me dreamily about her son. "Is he your only child?" I ask.
"Yes," she says. "Do you have a child back in England?" she asks. No, I say. Her face darkens. "You'd better start," she says. "The Muslims are breeding. Soon, they'll have the whole of Europe."

In the Palm Beach Post, Frank Cerabino writes about yet another attempt to get a Florida school to drop books from the curriculum: Concerned mom a closed book as all observe her rite of pages.

Says Cerabino:
Let's face it, some books are just plain hard to even look at - never mind to actually open them and read the words inside.
I once forced myself to read a collection of Ann Coulter's political rants, and since then, just the sight of one of her book covers makes me actually stick my tongue out and emit an involuntary gagging sound at the dust jacket photo. I'm not proud of it, but it happens.
So I can sympathize with Lopez, and I understand how some books might create a visceral reaction of disgust.
But, he goes on:
I also see her mission as foolish, but hey, it's her right to instill whatever she thinks is important on her own children.
I have just one teeny problem with Lopez. I hate to nitpick, but I don't agree that her mission should be the mission of the public schools.
This is why there is home schooling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home