Google

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Time for conservatives

Amazing new collection of articles in Washington Monthly, entitled Time for Us to Go, written by seven prominent conservatives like Christopher Buckley, Joe Scarborough, and Richard Viguerie, on why the Republican Party should lose in this fall's elections.
Some accuse Bush and the Republicans today of not being true conservatives. Others see a grab bag of stated policies and wonder how they cohere. Everyone thinks something’s got to change.

From Buckley, for example:
I voted for George W. Bush in 2000. In 2004, I could not bring myself to pull the same lever again. Neither could I bring myself to vote for John Kerry, who, for all his strengths, credentials, and talent, seems very much less than the sum of his parts. So, I wrote in a vote for George Herbert Walker Bush, for whom I worked as a speechwriter from 1981 to ’83. I wish he’d won.
...Who knew, in 2000, that “compassionate conservatism” meant bigger government, unrestricted government spending, government intrusion in personal matters, government ineptitude, and cronyism in disaster relief? Who knew, in 2000, that the only bill the president would veto, six years later, would be one on funding stem-cell research?
...What have they done to my party? Where does one go to get it back?

1 Comments:

  • Yup! Time for us EVIL Republicans to go. We will conveniently commit suicide for you liberals. Oh, and we will simply hand over the election to you this November. Hee! Hee!

    By Blogger PJ-Comix, at 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home