Google

Friday, November 01, 2002

Take it from an old journalist....
It's been a long, strange trip. American Journalism Review is celebrating their 25th anniversary with a special issue on how things have changed. Includes "How did I do this before Google?" in which The Miami Herald's Tom Fiedler talks about the old days of typewriters and cigarette butts.... and a wonderful story about Scott Armstrong and the Washington Post's first Raytheon computer system. Ah, those were the days....

Reading matter:
Speaking of long strange trips, I'm reading Garcia: an American life, by Blair Jackson. A study of Jerry and the Dead with emphasis on the music. For someone who experienced these years, and the Dead (although from the other coast), a nostalgic remembrance and engrossing book.
Before this, I read Will you miss me when I'm gone, the story of the Carter family. I saw mother Maybelle at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival back in the '70s and had no idea of the incredible story behind her and the rest of the family. What a tale! This one also kept me reading well into the night.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home